design * home* creative people* gardens* food * finds

Monday, August 6, 2012

El Alma - Delicioso

When I'm craving good Mexican food, El Alma is at the top of my list.  Alma Alcocer, who was a chef at Jeffrey's and Fonda San Miguel for years, now has her own restaurant on Barton Springs Rd. complete with a rooftop patio bar that overlooks the downtown skyline.


The food is anything but your average Tex-Mex. Alma prepares the food she grew up eating in Mexico City. Dishes like huevos frances (poached eggs with spinach and chipotle hollandaise served over her incredible corn pudding is a winner for brunch.


Everything I've tried on the menu has been delicious, from the ceviche to the tacos pastor. I haven't tried the steaks yet, but I've heard raves about them. The two things I will always order are the corn pudding and the coconut lime flan - muy delicioso, Alma.

If you love cornbread, this is gold standard.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment