design * home* creative people* gardens* food * finds

Monday, April 29, 2013

Cheesealicious

There are those times when I am craving comfort food, and lately I've been obsessing about grilled cheese sandwiches. I remember my mother's white bread and processed cheese sandwiches, but I decided to, as Emeril would say, "kick it up a notch."


I made four different kinds and was curious to see which ones my appreciative guests would like best.  Pictured above on the left  is my Tuscan grilled cheese with provolone, mozzarella, pesto, crispy prosciutto and tomato on parmesan ciabatta bread.
Molto delizioso.

On the right is my French version of grilled cheese with gruyere, caramelized onions and mushrooms on a rustic bread-very tasty.

Below is a southwestern take with pepper jack, cheddar, tomato, avocado and smoked poblano on sourdough bread.



Last, but not pictured, was the favorite.  A brie with thinly sliced apples and strawberry jam on grilled walnut and cranberry bread. Fig jam would have been a good alternative. Just goes to show you that simple is sometimes best.

The possibilities are endless and it was so much fun making and sharing these with friends. What's your favorite grilled cheese?




No comments:

Post a Comment