design * home* creative people* gardens* food * finds

Monday, January 23, 2012

I Took the Bait

It was a nice Saturday to do some exploring, and my friend was game to drive with me out to Canyon Lake to check out a place called Franks Bait and Tacos. I have to admit that I was curious about the place.  After all, you never hear the words bait and tacos used in the same sentence, let alone as the name of a restaurant.


As it turned out, the owner wasn't Frank, but Eddie. The place was abandoned when Eddie saw it, but he liked the location right on FM 306 and decided to turn it into a family run Tex Mex restaurant. 



Eddie warmly welcomed us, pointing out some of the memorabilia that fills the restaurant. Every square inch of space is covered with kitsch given to him by his adoring customers.


As we looked over the menu, Eddie warned us not to be in a hurry because this was not fast food.  His wife does all of the cooking fresh to order. While waiting for lunch to arrive, Eddie gave me a peek inside the bait shop and sure enough the tanks were filled with all kinds of live,wiggling bait. Not exactly an appetite booster, but it wasn't going to stop me from trying the enchiladas.


   The portions were generous but I managed to make
   a serious dent in those cheesy enchiladas-mucho gusto, Eddie.






1 comment:

  1. Love seeing you in amongst the kitsch with Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete