design * home* creative people* gardens* food * finds

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I've Got the Blues

As I was sorting through "stuff", getting things organized for my move, I came across a box of blue and white transferware dishes. Seeing them again after a few years brought back lots of memories. After deciding to close the door on my antique business, I sold most of what was left of the inventory, but wasn't able to part with my beloved blue and white. My collection is mostly from the mid to late 1800's- gathered from antiquing trips to England. Over the course of several years, I bought literally hundreds of bits of blue and white for collectors. At times red, black or brown transferware would become the hot new trend, but blue and white has always been, and still remains, the most popular.




These ceramics were not hand painted, but as the name suggests, the design was "transferred" from inked, etched copper plates to paper or special tissue. While the ink was still wet the paper was laid on the piece of ceramic bisque for a second firing in the kiln. This new method of production made it possible for the average household to afford dinnerware that imitated the fine china used by the wealthy upper class.




Abundant floral designs and pastoral scenes of the English countryside were the predominant motifs during the Victorian era.




Colors range from the pale, watery blue of the "Asiatic Pheasant" pattern to the deep cobalt so often seen in "Flow Blue" china.


The shade of blue may offer a clue as to the age of a piece, but color is just one of the characteristics to be considered. Some back stamps on the bottom have the name of the maker, but earlier pieces may have no stamps or marks at all. 




This large bowl was a gift from a friend who was game enough to go with me on one of my excursions.  She didn't even complain about the long hours we put in each day or the miles we walked.  Like me, I think she just enjoyed the hunt.




The Blue Willow pattern, based on an old Chinese legend, was first made in the Staffordshire area of England in the 1780's. As the story goes, the daughter of a wealthy mandarin was eloping with her lover. When her father caught them, the gods turned the couple into birds so that they could fly away and escape the wrath of her father.





          I can't imagine anything prettier than a bouquet of flowers in one
of these old pitchers.







                                                                                                                            









No comments:

Post a Comment