design * home* creative people* gardens* food * finds

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pillow Talk

OK, I admit it. I'm crazy about pillows; sofa pillows, bolsters, shams, floor pillows-well, you get the picture. There is nothing that can freshen up a room faster than new pillows. They can add a layer of pattern, repeat a color scheme, punch up tired-looking furniture or update a look. All of this for a relatively small out of pocket expenditure. That's not to say that I haven't splurged a time or two on something a bit more extravagant, but only when I simply could not resist. Of course it starts innocently enough with pillows then quickly spirals into sheets, curtains, upholstery, and before I know it there is no turning back.


I have always subscribed to the "less is more" philosophy, but in the case of these fabrics it's hard to rein in the desire to add just one more pattern.


One of my favorite fabric designers, John Robshaw, makes the most incredible pillows and textiles. Heavily influenced by the exotic designs of India and Asia, he honors the traditional hand block printing methods that have been used for centuries. Inserting his own artistic interpretations, he mixes pattern and color in a way that feels fresh and never stodgy. These are not your grandmother's pillows.

All photos by permission of John Robshaw Textiles

A barefoot John in the countryside


In the world of interior design, John Robshaw is a rock star. He has studied traditional block printing in China, made batiks in Indonesia and dyed ikats in Thailand. His love for simple, organic printing shows in his fabrics. He is a master at blending techniques and cultures with an artist's eye, while still paying homage to the ancient methods of the indigenous people.

John spends several months each year in India working and experimenting with new techniques. "By producing my textiles abroad, I get to become a minor character in the lives of the people I work with, and I can take inspiration from what I see and do there. I go to their weddings, celebrate their festivals, I get sick with them, I develop relationships with the people who are teaching me. When you look at my textiles, it's like you've been on the world tour along with me."



Source Info

John Robshaw Textiles can be purchased at Wildflower Organics in Austin                
908 North Lamar   
(512)320.0449                                                                                         
































No comments:

Post a Comment